Pollinator Health Commitments
At Southeastern Grocers Inc. (SEG), parent company and home of Fresco y Más,
Harveys Supermarket and Winn-Dixie grocery stores, we are committed to the development of lasting change for our people,
our community and our planet, which includes some of the earth’s smallest, yet essential inhabitants – pollinators.
Honeybees, butterflies, birds, bats and other pollinators are fundamental to the development of the earth’s flowering plants and crops, which makes them vital to our world’s food supply. According to a report by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), approximately 35% of the world’s food crops rely on animal pollinators for reproduction . Without pollinators, we would experience extensive food shortages and exacerbated global warming. The use of pesticides in conventional farming methods is perpetuating the destruction of pollinator habitats resulting in the loss of pollinators entirely.
As a grocer, ensuring food security now and for future generations is of paramount importance. We are doing our part to protect the health of the world’s pollinator populations through our investment in the following commitments:
Work with and support our fresh and floral suppliers to grow products without the use of the following pesticides and trial alternatives (and are not replaced by level 1 bee precaution rating):
- Make all reasonable effort to source fresh produce and floral from suppliers with third-party verified integrated pest management (IPM) practices.
- Encourage supplier partners to obtain pollinator-friendly certifications which facilitate consumer education.
- Work to increase the amount of USDA Organic produce offered in stores.
To execute our commitment to pollinators, SEG will:
- Engage with our supplier partners to create healthy pollinator environments
- Implement preferential sourcing to suppliers with third-party certifications, including: Equitable Food Initiative, Bee Better Certified, Rainforest Alliance, Sustainable Food Group Sustainability Standard, Sustainably Grown (SCS Global Services) Fairtrade International, FairTrade USA (after year 6), GLOBALG.A.P. Integrated Farm Assurance V 5.3 GFS and higher, or LEAF Marque.
- Support the expansion of pollinator habitats through our partnerships with growers, nongovernment organizations and academic institutions.
As we pursue purposeful change, we will continue to develop our commitments to further support opportunities that advance pollinator-friendly practices in the Southeast and beyond. Together, with the help of our valued supplier partners, SEG will steadfastly work toward creating stronger communities, sustainable products and a more viable world for all.
1U.S. Department of Agriculture, The Importance of Pollinators