Animal Welfare Policy
Southeastern Grocers is committed to the guiding principles of the Five Freedoms of Animal Welfare to further enhance our animal welfare policies and the shared values of our customers, associates and communities. While Southeastern Grocers does not raise animals, we believe in doing the right thing and treating all animals with respect.
The Five Freedoms are globally recognized as a leading framework for animal welfare, encompassing both the mental and physical well-being of animals and ensuring that animals have appropriate space, lighting, air quality, food and water.
The Five Freedoms are:
- Freedom from hunger and thirst, by ready access to water and a diet to maintain health and vigor.
- Freedom from discomfort, by providing an appropriate environment.
- Freedom from pain, injury and disease, by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to express normal behavior, by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and appropriate company of the animal’s own kind.
- Freedom from fear and distress, by ensuring conditions and treatment, which avoid mental suffering.
We are deeply rooted in the five southeastern states we serve and remain steadfast in our commitment to help build stronger communities and enhance the quality of life of our neighbors.